Thursday, July 12, 2012

Who owns you anyway?

Yesterday after I did my run I had a text from a friend. Turns out the partner she goes to the trainer with could not go and she wanted to know if I could go. The best thing I can tell you is that I didn't even think about if I wanted to. (OH, I WANTED TO)  I only had to worry about timing.  The timing was perfect.
I showed up for the training raring to go and I was NOT disappointed.  This friend hasn't seen me in about a month and her reaction to the way I look was authentic and awesome.  She does not read my blog so although she knows I am working on weight loss I doubt she really remembered til she saw me.  That was cool.  Then the trainer worked me like a dog and I loved every sweaty second of it.  I will admit that even when I can't do an exercise fully I love strength training.  We even got to put on gloves and punch a bag.  (my FAV).  He was very different from the trainer I used at my gym.  He kept commenting that my form was great.  I knew that was from the constructive criticisms I got from my first trainer.  Some days I felt frustrated by her "do it again that wasn't right."  But now I realize that is why I know how to use the correct form and after yesterday I am excited to think about when I might be able to start working with her again!

Note of interest:  I read a blog the other day and I actually really enjoyed it.  However, the girl has three scales line up by her bed and gets on each one when she weighs herself to make sure the number is right.  Um, that is not going to work for me and I daresay that is not a good way to work on changing your life.  Throughout our day we can take off and add up to 5 lbs at a time.  Essentially you could weight yourself every hour and see different weights.  Again, you have to take control and do what works best for you, but this is what I am going to tell you.  One of the exercises last night was to hold onto a bar with both hands.  Get off the step so I was hanging there and lift my knees 12 times.  I did it. I felt amazing. I could have been 350 lbs right then and it wouldn't have mattered to me because I was making my body meet a strength challenge and it felt awesome.  I even grunted!!!!  Don't get too obsessive about the number.  As my trainer told me when I started.  If you get obsessive about exercise it is much healthier than getting obsessive about a number on a scale.
Final note:  Friends couldn't believe I had put my weight on this blog.  That is so funny to me because I put my weight out into the world everyday.  You see me, you know generally that I am overweight.  You saw me four months ago, you generally worried I was going to keep ballooning until I exploded.  (Well, my brother shared that with me anyway, God love him.)  The number on the scale does not own me, it guides me.  It does not set my moods, it guides my workouts.  It does not choose my food, it helps me make choices.    Alright, I am going here:  If your scale makes you miserable on a daily basis....get RID OF IT.  You don't need it to know if you are losing weight.  TAKE CONTROL.
Be Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment