Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Notes of Interest (It appears to be brought to you by Nike)

A couple of notes of interest today:
Yesterday I went on about a trillion fitness/weight loss blogs to see how I can make mine better.  I enjoyed all of them and all of them were WAY different from this one. Some have about a trillion (my fav number) pictures for comparison. They were cool to see. Some talk about every bite of food that goes into their mouths ad nauseum ( I am not positive what ad nausuem means but I really wanted to use it and I think it fits here).  So, um if you are not interested in obsessing about what YOU are eating every single day why do you care what I am eating every single day.  *takes dramatic sip of water*  Some of them talk about the benefits of shakes or certain training programs.  All of them have one thing in common. They help people working on fitness/weight loss know they are not alone.  That is good.  Beyond that people losing weight (myself included) can really only help motivate.  And somedays that will work for you and somedays it won't.  I just want you to know that I don't think there is any ONE way to do this thing.  The only thing I do know is eventually you have to JUST DO IT.  (Thank you, Nike.)
Last night I didn't want to run.  I did NOT go in the a.m like I was supposed to...too tired.  When does an excuse work?  When it is real.  No worries or guilt, I would do it at six.  Around 3 I knew I did not want to do it so I used that old trick all gurus tell you about...putting your workout clothes on so you are already part way there.  Now I was just an unmotivated runner in work out clothes.  Hmmm.  Then when I got home from mom duties, hubby and daugher are home and I didn't want to go. I wanted to hang with them. When making  decision that has the potential to make you feel guilty- rip the bandaid off. I debated and then traded in my rest day Friday for a rest day yesterday.  That means I couldn't do that today.  That means I guilted myself into the run this morning.  It was the happiest thing I have done for myself in quite awhile.  Why do we brush our teeth? Oh sure we know all the reasons we should brush our teeth, but we do it mostly because it is a habit.  The reality I have in 4 months is I am not going to always find motivation. It is an illusive thing, but I have made a commitment to me and I am going to just do it.  (oh, thanks again, Nike)
How was the run?  4.5 miles.  Most of it great, part of sucked.  I conquered a killer hill one way but walked part of it coming home.  I stopped to pet a dog and the owner not realizing I was out for a run (not sure why) turned around and started walking with me.  It was probably only .2 miles but I got a little worried about my slowing heart rate and my slowing speed.  And then I remembered that part of being healthy is being a happy human and this woman and her dog were really cool.  We parted ways and I started my run again.  By now, it was sweaty hot. ICK.  I just kept repeating slow and steady.  I treated myself to a look at the scale. I had sweated out 5 lbs.  I am 4 lbs away from being under 200.  Of course, the truth is that as I sip my water that scale will go right back up again.  That reality is okay with me.  4 months ago I wasn't sure I would stop the scale from hitting 240.  I am thrilled.  
Be Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment