Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Take Control- you decide

I want to thank reader/friend Erica for her suggestion to readers about just eating half of something you really want.  It was a good reminder to me as I begin this blog that one size does not fit all.  Eating half for me of like a chicken breast?  Yes, I can do that. Although chicken breast is good for me so I don't have to do that. Eating half of a pringles can?  Absolutely can't happen for me. A can has no chance of survival in my home through one full day.  That is whether I am alone at home or not.  No chance.  Ask my sister-in- law. She has witnessed the way I chow down the pringles.  It ain't pretty and it ain't healthy, but it's real and it's me.  My only chance against a pringles can is not to have one near me.  Now, I know somebody who can keep an entire can of pringles  for weeks without finishing, but can't keep ice-cream in her freezer to safe her life.  HA, sucker....I can keep ice-cream for weeks in the freezer.  (Well, if you take my daughter out of the equation.)  You see? There is just no one size fits all. Which is why I told you what I eat because people were asking, but I don't think you will get there by copying what I eat bite for bite....although I am flattered if you want to try.  Just coffee so far..I can see a banana staring at me from the bowl. 
The point I am trying to make is there is no one size fits all in the health world, but its a trillion dollar business because we look to others instead of ourselves.  So- losing weight scientifically means you have to have a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound.  You need to take in a certain amount of calories less than what you take in right now and the more you exercise the faster your body will change.  Its really up to you.
Yesterday, one of the trainers at the gym told our spin class about a strength training diet she and her boyfriend are doing.  Together they go through a pound of bacon a day and three basic foods are bacon, steak and butter.  HELLO DISGUSTING.  But, it is working and their goal is very specific based on hard core weight and strength training.  And- they don't think it is disgusting so it works for them.  Jillian Michaels put out on her facebook page yesterday that it is best to do your workouts at the same time everyday.  Best?  What the hell does that mean?  My workout is ineffective if I don't do it at the same time?  Because I don't, because I can't and I don't need to be any kind of fitness guru to know if I stop working out because I think it won't benefit me because I can't do them at the same time, there is no benefit at all.  I think Jillian Michaels is great, but I am sick of people telling me how to do it. I am too old for that.  Take control of your life. 
I have a constructive critic out there who wants me to shorten my posts and I am REALLY trying, but just two more examples- I promise!  I read my Good Housekeeping magazine and they focused on one woman who lost weight.  She said something about giving up carbs and that yes, she was miserable for awhile but it was worth it in the end?  It was?  Cause, I only have a certain amount of time with this life and spending weeks miserable to see the scale move...so, not worth it for me.  I lost 29 pounds in 3 months, oh by the way I hit 30 pounds today and tomorrow marks four months so 30 pounds in four months and the only misery was how frigging out of shape I was in the begining with my workouts.  Last night I KILLED spin class.  Oh- I digress. 
My last example is the running on the treadmill versus running in the world.  I prefer running in the world. I like getting somewhere. I like nobody around me.  I am not sure if the right words are I can't get out of my own head in the gym or if it is more correct to say I can't get into my own head at the gym.  I have very close friends who are the exact opposite and can only enjoy a run on a treadmill.  All kinds of runner can argue the various benefits/nonbenefits of both.  But as far as losing weight and getting healthy- take damn control and do what you love and what works for you, and I daresay, at whatever time of day works best for you.  Yes, I went there!  Be Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment